RN - Operating Room*
Company: The University Kansas Health System
Posted on: May 27, 2023
Requisition Number: R-20221 Position Title: External
Description: JOB DESCRIPTION - Working in the surgical setting
assumes responsibility and accountability for facilitating,
communicating, and collaborating with both the healthcare team, and
the patient/family to identify and meet the physical, emotional and
spiritual needs of the patient. Promotes the optimal health,
well-being and safety of the patient through use of the nursing
process and in accordance with patient care standards, guidelines
and the State Nurse Practice Act. Demonstrates personal
accountability for relationship-based care, organizational mission,
and core values.
- Prepares, refills, and sterilizes supplies and equipment used
in surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates competence in cleaning of operating room,
equipment, and instruments. Putting away equipment, supplies, and
instruments following procedures.
- Anticipates possible problems or complication that may arise
during cases. Adjust quickly and prepares for emergent cases that
change the work flow.
- Effectively communicates with surgeon and coworkers. Maintains
efficiency under stress and with irregular working hours.
- Adheres to departmental procedures and protocols. Participates
in professional and program development by attending department
in-services, meeting and by sharing professional expertise to
enhance quality of patient care and staff development. Assists with
education of students and new staff.
- Demonstrates effective time management and is proactive in
prioritizing workload and meeting productivity requirements. Adapts
to rapidly changing census and staffing through priority setting
- Applies knowledge of the dress code related to Standard
Precautions and consistently wears appropriate personal protective
- Demonstrate competency in a variety of therapeutic/diagnostic
interventions including but not limited to IV's, medication
administration, catheterization and specimen collections.
- Develop and implement patient plan of care and observe outcomes
in accordance with nursing standards and in collaboration with the
- Promote, advocate and collaborate to protect the health and
safety and rights of each patient.
- Oversees Scrub Tech. Delegates to non-RN personnel in
accordance with State Board of Nursing and hospital policy.
- Effectively uses time, personnel, equipment and supplies to
provide high quality, cost effective patient care.
- Professional role model for all staff demonstrating
ethical/legal/professional nursing process.
- Manages resources and patient flow through matching nursing
competencies with individualized patient's and unit needs.
- Uses standards of care, hospital policies/procedures and
regulatory guidelines to guide practice.
- Function effectively within nursing and inter-professional
teams, fostering open communication, mutual respect, and shared
decision-making to achieve quality patient care.
- Precepts/mentors new staff or nursing students as needed.
- Seeks out learning opportunities and continuing education.
Seeks experiences that reflect current practice in order to
maintain skills and competence in clinical practice or role
performance. Use current healthcare research findings and other
evidence to expand clinical knowledge, enhance role performance,
and increase knowledge of professional issues
- Maintains professional records that provide evidence of
competency and lifelong learning.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the organization through ongoing
participation at hospital and unit based meetings.
- Adapts to rapidly changing technology as evidenced by
competency in technology and equipment used in the patient care
- Thorough and confidential maintenance of patient charts and
records. Document ongoing status, interventions, patient response
and outcomes in accurate, timely manner. Use information technology
to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support
- Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain a steady level of
productivity; self motivated. Organizes and manages activities
reflecting due consideration for the needs of the department and
- Assess patient's physical, psychosocial, cultural and spiritual
needs through observation, interview, review of medical records &
clinical data. Evaluates patient's response and intervenes to
ensure optimal patient outcome.
- Uses physician preference cards to identify and pull supplies
and equipment needed for scheduled or emergent procedures.
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique throughout
procedure by checking packaging integrity, indicators, and opening
- Assists surgical team in many areas; positioning of patient,
draping, providing necessary supplies to surgical team, dressing of
surgical site, and transporting patient. JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing required for new
graduates, preferred for experienced RN's
- One year experience preferred Nursing skills and knowledge base
specific to specialty
- BLS certification required or must complete BLS certification
with in the first two weeks of employment.
- ACLS or must complete within the first 6 months of
- Current state nursing licenses or RN license from a
participating state in the National Licensure Compact. HIPAA: This
position will have access to the following Protected Health
Information in order to carry out the duties related to their
position at Hays Medical Center based on the following criteria:
Primary - required (routine) to do the job Secondary - required for
the job, but mostly be exception None -no approved access
Description of Information Level Primary:
- Patient Demographic Information (information used to identify a
person): Name, Date of Birth, Address, Race, Marital Status,
- Clinical Information (information that describes a patient's
health status): Diagnosis, Reports/Medical Notes, Test Results,
Problem List, Procedures, History and Physical Secondary
- Financial Information/Insurance (information related to
insurance, billing and payment): Billing Information, Payer Name,
Payer ID, Account Balances, Plan Elements Covered, Payment
Information, Payment Rates None:
- Coding Information (clinical information that is in (alpha)
numeric format): ICD-9 Codes, Rev Codes, CPT Codes Infection
Control: Initial and Ongoing training in dealing with infection
control. Trainings could include but are not limited to, blood
borne pathogens, bodily fluids and bio hazardous materials as it
applies to your daily work environment. City: Kansas City State:
Kansas Community / Marketing Title: RN - Operating Room* Company
Profile: EEO Employer Verbiage: The University of Kansas prohibits
discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion,
sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a
veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status,
gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the
university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also
prohibited by university policy. Location_formattedLocationLong:
Kansas City, Kansas US Job Number: 59411
Keywords: The University Kansas Health System, Wichita , RN - Operating Room*, Healthcare , Milan, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...