Advanced Steel Press Setup Operator
Company: Johnson Controls, Inc.
Posted on: June 11, 2021
Johnson Controls' Wichita operation designs, builds and
distributes around one million pieces of residential heating and
cooling equipment every year. Johnson Controls Wichita builds and
assembles some of the biggest HVAC brands in the industry,
including York, Luxaire, Coleman, Champion and Guardian.
The primary manufacturing campus sits on 63 acres with a total
of 1.3 million square feet. It has also translated into large
employment growth in Wichita, where its workforce is around 1,600
employees which is up nearly 22 percent year over year. The Wichita
manufacturing facility is the largest non-aircraft manufacturing
plant in Wichita.
What you will do
Perform die changeovers and setups and to operate single stroke
mechanical presses 70 tons and up to blank, punch, and form
How you will do it
- Read and understand Operational Method Sheets (OMS) job
instructions, handles material to and from work station and gets
work station and equipment ready for production.
- Perform die changeovers and select correct materials to
- Must be able to solve majority of problems if setup
- Correct or seek support to correct any setup problems or tool
problems preventing production of good parts.
- Operates press to punch and form parts per specifications.
- Adjusts and tightens hold down bolts, dies, springs, and pins.
Lubricates material and parts as required.
- Complete all required and assigned paperwork.
- Performs housekeeping activities daily as outlined by
- Complies with all quality checks to include first part and last
- Maintains quality standard, keeps work station in order,
reports work shortages, and performs own rework.
- Overtime is required to meet production demands and can include
Saturdays and Sundays when necessary.
What we look for
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one
to three months related experience and/or training; completed press
training (classroom and performance) or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be
self-motivated, self-starter and able to perform each essential
- Must attend and pass the Johnson Controls Manufacturing
Training and Safety class.
- Must be able to use the following equipment, tools and
materials: Straightsize, gap frame, obi, mechanical presses of over
70 ton capacity, dies, vacuum and magnetic sheet lifters, parts
containers, material handling equipment such as lift jacks and
dollies, oil spray guns, brushes, gauges such as rulers,
micrometers, calipers, safety devices, small hand tools, metal
sheets, coils, parts, scrap, lubricants, drawing compounds.
- Prior Steel Press experience.
- Knowledge of/ability to learn to use and interpret Blueprints
- Knowledge of/ability to learn to use and read precision
measuring instruments such as micrometers, calipers, and related
hand held gages.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals,
blueprints, and Operational Method Sheets (OMS).
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out
instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of
this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical
parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to
outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment
is usually very loud. The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The above description is concise, and is not intended to include
all details of the job.
Who we are
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world
that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates
innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected,
buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are
passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and
plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set
and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on
tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and
affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status,
status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other
characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view
EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you
require an accommodation during the application process, please
Keywords: Johnson Controls, Inc., Wichita , Advanced Steel Press Setup Operator, Other , Wichita, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!