Communications Specialist (911 Dispatcher)
Company: CITY OF AUGUSTA
Posted on: January 25, 2023
This position performs regular dispatching duties that include
receiving and transmitting emergency radio and telephone calls and
dispatching emergency personnel and equipment under stressful
conditions. The position will utilize telecommunications equipment
such as radios, computers, and a 911 and administrative telephones.
The employee will also be responsible for the maintenance,
accuracy, and security of department records.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Receives emergency calls made by telephone or radio and
dispatches proper personnel and equipment.
- Receives calls for information and assistance and determines
- Greets people and answers requests for assistance.
- Receives messages and requests by phone or radio from field
personnel and takes appropriate action.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of records and logs.
- Ensures that office supplies are ordered and properly
- Performs a variety of general clerical duties in support of
assigned office activities.
- Issues permits.
- Calculates, receives, records, and processes payment for
licenses, permits, and other fees.
- Receives, opens, sorts, and distributes incoming mail.
- Enters data into computer, prints reports, and verifies
accuracy of data.
- Monitors CCTV cameras and supports security of the Public
- Performs other related work as required.
The duties and responsibilities of this job are not limited to
those listed above and are subject to change without notice.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK
- Ability to gain the basic knowledge of the principles,
procedures, and equipment used in law enforcement and
- Ability to develop and exhibit knowledge of modern principles
and practices of emergency dispatch.
- Must exhibit the ability to react quickly and calmly in
- Ability to obtain NCIC certification.
- Ability to obtain the needed knowledge regarding federal,
state, and local regulations concerning radio communications.
- Ability to learn and utilize various computer software
- Must have ability to develop and exhibit considerable knowledge
of the geography of the City and County, including locations of
streets and important buildings.
- Ability to read and interpret urban and rural area maps.
- Ability to think clearly and respond quickly, accurately, and
calmly in emergency situations.
- Ability to speak the English language clearly and correctly
with a courteous tone of voice.
- Must have the ability to clearly communicate.
- Ability to operate radio transmitting and receiving equipment
using headset, manual switches, keyboard, video display monitor,
and multiple pedal controls, while in a sitting position.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of the rules and
regulations of the City and the Public Safety Department.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use mature judgment and make
- Ability to record detailed descriptions and incidents quickly
- Must be a self-starter, highly motivated, and committed to
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of
outside agencies, and the public.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or
safety of other individuals in the workplace.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work Environment - Indoors in a non-hazardous setting.
- Physical Requirements - Ability to hear 25 decibels or less at
500 hz; 4,000 hz; and points in between, as well as to accurately
interpret what is heard. Visual acuity that is correctable to
- Valid Drivers Kansas Drivers License
- See requirements of work and/or City standards
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Good organizational skills
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and work
- Ability to work in a stressful and fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail with good error recognition
The preferred candidate for this position shall have a high school
diploma with some post secondary study with emphasis in fire/police
science, fire/police administration, or a related field and have
two years of experience working with the public. Any equivalent
combination of experience, training, special knowledge, and/or
certifications may be a substitute for these requirements. Offers
of employment may be made contingent upon passing a pre-employment
physical and/or drug screening, upon satisfactory evaluation of a
psychological examination, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the
results of a police records check.
Keywords: CITY OF AUGUSTA, Wichita , Communications Specialist (911 Dispatcher), Professions , Augusta, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!